Friday 16 May 2014

P-P-Professor Sq-Sq-Squirrel

I have become a Jr. Squirreler. I hope one day to get my Acorn Badge and graduate to a Sr. Squirreler, but this is far in the future and will require much training and mental preparation. For now, I wander (AKA trip and generally bumble my way through) the forest wearing my khaki vest equipped with peanut butter and listen for the sweet calls of my scansorial friends with feeble, uneducated ears.

I didn’t just have a strange outdoorsy fever dream – I am a field technician in the Yukon Territory for the summer this year, working for a project that studies squirrels in Kluane National Park. The study, called the Kluane Red Squirrel Project (KRSP), has been running since 1987 and collects pedigree data for a huge population of squirrels. We monitor four grids that are ~1 km2 each, amounting to a total of about 5000 squirrels. One of my friends (let’s call him Burt) took a Community Ecology class last year that referred to such a project with the acronym LTER: Long Term Ecological Research. This acronym is so pretentious and unnecessary, and my doubt that it actually gets used in practice is so great, that I will persist in using it throughout this post.

So with this kind of LTER there is a lot of training associated. I started work on May 1st, and since then I have learned such a huge quantity of information in such a short time period that my brain feels weighted with the authority of this knowledge. I now know how to set tomahawk traps, handle live squirrels, navigate a grid, use radio telemetry equipment, climb spruce trees, tag ears, identify and interpret squirrel behaviour, perform stomach palpations to determine pregnancy status, express nipples of lactating female squirrels (yes, I know how to milk a squirrel), handle all the data generated by these procedures, and most importantly, play with baby squirrels (called pups). Playing with the babies is of critical importance, and all senior staff at KRSP recognizes this.

I have also encountered a few minor hiccups along the way in my squirrel adventures. To start with, an adult squirrel died as I was handling it. This apparently only happens once or twice a year, but it happened to me on my second day of independent work. This is a rare moment in my blogging where I will allow seriousness: it was really sad, and very shocking. We hold the squirrels in handling bags in order to read their ear tags to identify the individual and feel the stomach if it is a female to determine pregnancy status. I was doing a stomach palpation and the female I was handling had been quite stressed, but seemed to be calming down. Little did I know, she was most likely entering cardiac arrest. I finished my palpation and put her down on the ground to record the information quickly, and she seemed suspiciously still. I checked her immediately, and found she was dead. I radioed a senior member who came along and although she comforted me to assure me it probably wasn’t my fault, she also informed me that the squirrel had a litter and those babies would die too.

So THAT was great. But the next day would be better, right? You already know that since I said that, something worse is coming. I need to be a little less cliché here. Ok, let’s try this: the next day was an improvement, because I didn’t kill any squirrels. I myself had a fancy brush with death though, falling out of the next tree I attempted to climb. This has only happened to two other squirrelers in the history of the project. I was completely uninjured, because I was lucky enough that both branches I was supported by broke at the same time. I slid all the way down the tree and landed neatly on my bottom. I then proceeded to shake for the next 20 minutes and ceased climbing trees. I haven’t climbed a tree since, so hopefully this has not become a deep-seeded (ha, ha, ha) fear in my heart. The thing is though, overall, I prefer that my heart continues to beat. Such are the risks of LTER, however, and we simply have to face them.

But there is one thing that makes all of this worthwhile: baby squirrels. 





No comments:

Post a Comment